Scroll to content
John Betts Logo

John Betts Primary School

Google Translate
Google Search

SEND Information Report

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Information Report 2022-2023

This information report firms part of the local offer for pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) and outlines the provision and resources available at John Betts Primary School.


What type of SEN do we provide for?

John Betts is a mainstream school. We can make provision for every kind of frequently occurring special educational need with or without an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). We regularly access training and advice so that a range of needs can be met. Very occasionally, a child has a need so significant that, in agreement and consultation with the parent, we apply for an EHCP.


Applications for admission for pupils with an existing EHCP are sent in consultation with our governors by the Local Authority and are considered on an individual basis. A decision is made regarding the admission of each pupil in relation to meeting their needs and the needs of other pupils in the school.  


What policies are in place for identifying pupils with special educational needs and assessing their needs?

  • Class teachers monitor the progress of all pupils regularly to review their progress. Every child’s attainment, progress and well-being is regularly discussed at pupil progress meetings with the class team and Senior Leadership Team. This enables us to monitor every child closely and identify any barriers to learning that they may be experiencing.
  • The principle of early identification and intervention underpins our approach to identifying those pupils who need extra help. This is often put in place, even if SEN has not been identified. This extra support will be planned to enable to pupil to catch up.
  • Despite high quality targeted teaching some pupils may continue to make significant progress. For these pupils, and in consultation with parents, a more individualised intervention programme is created. We will inform parents if their child is added to the SEN register and the class teacher will inform parents/carers of any interventions that the child takes part in. 
  • At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive more specialised expertise and advice.   The purpose of this more detailed assessment and review is to understand what additional resources and different approaches are required to enable the pupil to make better progress. These will be shared with parents, put into an individualised support plan and reviewed regularly, and revised if necessary. At this point, because the pupil requires additional and extra provision we will have identified that the pupil has a special educational need and the child will be put on the SEN register if not already on it. We will ensure that all teachers and support staff who work with the pupil are aware of the support to be provided and the teaching approaches to be used. All interventions are monitored and reviewed to identify what impact they have had on the pupil’s educational progress.


What types of support may be suitable and available for my child?

This really depends upon the nature of your child’s needs and difficulties with learning. Our education provisions will match the needs of the four broad areas of need as defined in the SEN Code of Practice 2014;

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, emotional and mental health
  • Sensory and/or physical needs


At John Betts Primary School we have a 3-tiered approach to support a child’s learning.

Universal – this is the quality first teaching your child will receive from her/his class teacher and may include some minor adaptations to match learning needs.
Targeted - it may be appropriate to consider making additional short term special educational provision to remove or reduce any obstacles to your child’s learning. This takes the form of a graduated four part approach of

  1. assessing your child’s needs
  2. planning the most effective and appropriate intervention
  3. providing this intervention
  4. reviewing the impact on your child’s progress towards individual learning outcomes.

Many interventions are run within the classroom setting. However, on occasion, specific targeted one to one or small group interventions may be run outside the classroom.  These will be limited to a number a weeks to minimise disruption to the regular curriculum. You will be kept informed of your child’s progress towards learning outcomes.


Specialist – it may be necessary to seek specialist advice and regular long term support from a specialist professional outside the school in order to plan for the best possible learning outcomes for your child. The school may need to prioritise referrals to these services. However, for a very small number of pupils access to these specialists may be through an Education Health Care Plan.


John Betts works in partnership with a range of external professionals including:

  • Educational Psychology
  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Occupational Therapists (via NHS referral)
  • Sensory and Language Impairment Team (vision and hearing impairment team)
  • Outreach support (such as Queensmill ASD outreach, Jack Tizard Outreach)
  • The school is able to access training programmes from different organisations including the Training and Outreach team based at QE2 School.


How will my child’s needs be met?

  • At John Betts Primary School we believe that your child’s learning needs will first be met through the high quality teaching delivered by her/his class teacher.
  • We carefully plan our curriculum to match the age, ability and needs of all children.
  • The class teacher will adapt lesson planning and teaching to match your child’s special educational needs and/or disability.
  • It may be appropriate to adopt different strategies or resources and adapt outcomes to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • Additional specialist advice is sought when appropriate and, when necessary, accessibility aids and technology may be used to support your child’s learning.
  • The class teachers and other staff working with your child ensure that your child receives appropriate teaching and learning support in order to reach these goals. The support plan, strategies and progress will be reviewed termly.
  • John Betts Primary School regularly reviews its Accessibility Plan to ensure that all children have the fullest access to the curriculum and the school site as possible.


How does John Betts monitor the effectiveness of SEN provision?

At John Betts we evaluate the effectiveness of provision for pupils with SEN by:

  • Reviewing pupil’s individual progress towards their outcomes each term.
  • Reviewing the impact of interventions every half term and adjust provision maps accordingly.
  • Reviewing individual provision maps for pupil with an EHCP each term with parents.
  • Monitoring by the SENDCO.
  • Liaison with external agencies to ensure that provision is matched to need.
  • Holding annual reviews for pupils with EHC plans.
  • Continuous self-evaluation for provision through the John Betts Education Development Plan.


Who are the best people to talk to at the school about my child’s difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disability?

  • Your child’s class teacher knows your child best so talk to him/her about your concerns.
  • Following your talk the class teacher may talk to the school SENDCO about your concerns.
  • You may wish to arrange a meeting with the SENDCO.
  • If you continue to have concerns, arrange to discuss these with the Headteacher.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning, special educational needs or disability?

  • Your child’s class teacher may speak to you at the end of a normal school day or telephone you to arrange a further time to discuss the concerns.
  • The class teacher may also talk to you about any issues at a parent/teacher consultation meeting.
  • The SENDCO or Headteacher may contact you and arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s difficulties with learning and any possible support strategies the school might be considering.


How will the school consider my views and those of my child in regard to his/her difficulties with learning, special educational needs or disabilities?

  • At John Betts Primary School we believe it is very important for parents/carers to be involved in all areas of their child’s learning and we actively encourage discussions. We believe, where appropriate, that it is essential to understand your views and if appropriate your child’s views on any difficulties they may experience with their learning.
  • You will be able to share your views and discuss your child’s progress at regular meetings with the class teacher.
  • If your child has an identified special educational need, you will be invited to a termly meeting with the class teacher to discuss current progress, support strategies being used and expected outcomes.
  • If your child has particularly complex needs or there is a specific concern to discuss, you may be invited to a longer consultation meeting with the SENDCO and class teacher each term. 
  • If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), you and your child will be able to share your views at the Annual Review, to which other professionals may be invited at your request.


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • There may be suggested strategies or activities for you to do at home to support your child’s learning.
  • We sometimes run parent/carer workshops in school to help you understand the strategies used in school. In addition, we may be able to offer you individual training in specific support strategies relevant to your child.
  • The SENDCO may also support you with strategies, resources and ideas for supporting your child’s learning at home.


How will I know how my child is doing?

  • Your child’s progress will be assessed both in terms of his/her regular learning within the class and with regard to specific intervention programmes.
  • The impact of the support given is carefully measured to ensure that the learning outcomes have been achieved and if not, what adaptations are necessary. It may be decided that a further period of support would be beneficial for your child.
  • You and your child will be kept informed and encouraged to be actively involved at all stages of this support.
  • You may have the opportunity to meet with other professionals involved in supporting your child.


How is support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels of support in school?

  • John Betts Primary School receives funding from Local Authority. These funds include money to support the learning of children with SEN and/or disabilities.
  • The Headteacher, in consultation with the school Governing Body, decides the budget for SEN provision on the basis of the needs of the children in the school.
  • The Headteacher and the senior teachers, including the SENDCO, discuss the effectiveness of the school’s current interventions and provisions and prioritise an action plan, which may include additional or alternative interventions, staff training and equipment needs.
  • This process is reviewed half termly to ensure the best possible intervention is provided to those children who require additional support to learn.


What is an EHC Plan and who can request on for my child?

The purpose of an EHC Plan is to make special education provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person who is unable to access the curriculum and learn without an enhanced level of support and this is likely to be a long term need. The plan serves to secure improved outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care and, as he/her gets older, prepare for adulthood. An EHC Plan will contain:

  • the views and aspirations of you and your child;
  • a full description of his/her special educational needs and any health and social care needs;
  • establish outcomes for your child’s progress;
  • specify the provision required and how education, health and social care will work together to meet your child’s needs and support the achievement of the agreed outcomes.


You and/or the school, usually the SENDCO or Headteacher, can request that the local authority conduct an assessment of your child’s needs. This may lead to an EHC Plan.


How will equipment and facilities to support children and young people with special educational needs be secured?

The purchasing of specialist equipment will be considered on an individual basis, according to advice given or identified need. The school may apply for funding for some items of equipment.


What support will there be for my child’s happiness and wellbeing at the school?

  • At John Betts Primary School we believe that the happiness and wellbeing of all our pupils is paramount. All members of staff take this aspect of school life very seriously.  Every child’s wellbeing is discussed at pupil progress meetings each term.
  • You can be confident that in particular your child’s class teacher, the teaching assistants, the SENDCO and other members of staff are available to provide support to match your child’s needs.
  • In the first instance please do contact your child’s class teacher if you have any concerns.


How is my child included in all the same activities as his/her peers at the school?

  • John Betts Primary School is an inclusive school and committed to providing equal opportunities for all children.
  • School clubs, educational visits and residential trips are available to all children.
  • When necessary the school will make reasonable adjustments to ensure that children with SEN and/or disabilities are included in all activities.
  • You should also feel free to contact your child’s class teacher if you have any concerns.


How will the school support my child in transition stages?

  • We liaise closely with the school or nursery your child is transferring from or the school that your child is transferring to. We are able to discuss with the relevant teachers any individual needs and how best to support your child in school.
  • While at John Betts Primary School we take care to ensure that during transition points (between classes each year and at the end of Key Stages) all staff are aware of individual pupils needs, learning progress and best support strategies.
  • John Betts Primary School makes arrangements to ensure there is a smooth transition when your child transfers to his/her secondary school of choice. Please contact us for further details.
  • If your child has an EHC Plan, we will participate and/or facilitate its review in sufficient time prior to him/her moving between key phases of education. You will be kept informed of these arrangements and asked to attend the reviews.


How does the governing body involved other agencies including health and social services, local authority support services and voluntary organisations, in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and in supporting the families of such pupils?

The Governing Body have engaged with the following:

  • A Service Level Agreement with Psychology in Education service
  • A Service Level Agreement with the Speech and Language Therapy Schools Service
  • Ability to make referrals to Occupational Therapy, CAMHS (Child and Adolescence Mental Health Service), West London Action for Children, The Intervention Team (TBAP).
  • Referrals to Early Help through Social Services
  • School nursing service, in school once a week.


What services are available to support the parents and families of children with SEN?


How can I find information about the local authorities Local Offer of services and provision for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

Click the following link to access the local authorities Local Offer:   LBHF Local Offer


If I have any other questions about my child at John Betts Primary School, who can I ask?
At John Betts we are very happy to speak to you about any aspects of your child’s education. It is best to speak to one of the following in this order:

  • Class Teacher
  • SENDCO - Mrs Emily Flynn
  • Headteacher - Miss Jessica Mair
  • Link Governor - Dave McNamara


Who can I contact if I have a complaint about the SEN provision made for my child?
Initially speak with your child’s class teacher and/or the SENDCO. Hopefully they will be able to address your concerns. If the concern is not resolved, then you should contact the Headteacher who may direct you to the school’s Complaints Policy.




School tours have now finished and will operate again throughout the autumn term in the next academic year 2024/2025 every Wednesday from 09.30-10.30. In September, please call the school on 02087482465 to book your place.